From: Devaki, Srinivas <me@eightnoteight.space>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2018 9:24 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Cassandra Upgrade Plan 2.2.4 to 3.11.3

Hi everyone,

I have planned out our org's cassandra upgrade plan and want to make sure if it
seems fine.

Details Existing Cluster:
* Cassandra 2.2.4
* 8 nodes with 32G ram and 12G max heap allocated to cassandra
* 4 nodes in each rack

1. Ensured all clients to use LOCAL_* consistency levels and all traffic to
"old" dc
2. Add new cluster as "new" dc with cassandra 2.2.4
  2.1 update conf on all nodes in "old" dc
  2.2 rolling restart the "old" dc
3. Alter tables with similar replication factor on the "new" dc
4. cassandra repair on all nodes in "new" dc
5. upgrade each node in "new" dc to cassandra 3.11.3 (and upgradesstables)
6. switch all clients to connect to new cluster
7. repair all new nodes once more
8. alter tables to replication only on new dc
9. remove "old" dc

and I have some doubts on the same plan
D1. can i just join 3.11.3 cluster as "new" dc in the 2.2.4 cluster?
D2. how does rolling upgrade work, as in within the same cluster how can 2
versions coexist?

Will be grateful if you could review this plan.

PS: following this plan to ensure that I can revert back to old behaviour at
any step

Thanks
Srinivas Devaki
SRE/SDE at Zomato

________________________________

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by
anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our
clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of
business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all
responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment
and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses,
e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which
may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct,
indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail
message or its attachment.