This does indeed seem to be a problem of overlapping sstables, but I don't
understand why the data (and number of sstables) just continues to grow
indefinitely. I also don't understand why this problem is only appearing on
some nodes. Is it just a coincidence that the one rogue test row without a
ttl is at the 'root' sstable causing the problem (ie, from the output of
`sstableexpiredblockers`)?

Running a full compaction via `nodetool compact` reclaims the disk space,
but I'd like to figure out why this happened and prevent it. Understanding
why this problem would be isolated the way it is (ie only one CF even
though I have a few others that share a very similar schema, and only some
nodes) seems like it will help me prevent it.