Have you tried increasing concurrent reads until you see more activity in
disk? If you've always got 32 active reads and high pending reads it could
just be dropping the reads because the queues are saturated. Could be
artificially bottlenecking at the C* process level.

Also what does this metric show over time:

org.apache.cassandra.metrics.type=ThreadPools.path=transport.scope=Native-Transport-Requests.name=TotalBlockedTasks.Count

--
www.vorstella.com
408 691 8402