From: Reid Pinchback <rpinchb...@tripadvisor.com>
Sent: Mittwoch, 06. November 2019 18:28
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra 3.0.18 went OOM several hours after joining a cluster

The other thing that comes to mind is that the increase in pending compactions
suggests back pressure on compaction activity.  GC is only one possible source
of that.  Between your throughput setting and how your disk I/O is set up,
maybe that’s throttling you to a rate where the rate of added reasons for
compactions > the rate of compactions completed.

In fact, the more that I think about it, I wonder about that a lot.

If you can’t keep up with compactions, then operations have to span more and
more SSTables over time.  You’ll keep holding on to what you read, as you read
more of them, until eventually…pop.