If it's helpful, IMO, the approach Cassandra needs to take isn't
by tracking the individual node commit log and putting the burden
on the client. At Scylla, we had the 'opportunity' to be a late comer
and see what approach Cassadnra took and what DynamoDB streams
took.

We've implemented CDC as a regular CQL table [1].
Not only it's super easy to consume, it's also consistent and
you can choose to read the older values.

I recommend Cassandra should pick up our design, a small
contribution back. We're implementing an OSS kafka CDCk connector
too.

Dor

[1]
https://www.scylladb.com/2020/03/31/observing-data-changes-with-change-data-capture-cdc/