Schema changes are not guaranteed to work across versions (especially major
versions where the internode protocol changes) - imagine the new version adds a
new primitive type or collection, adding a new collection on the new version
won’t be interpretable by the old version as anything meaningful, so old won’t
get schema changes from new.

Adding and removing DCs both require repair to do safely (without violating
consistency, at least).

Adding new nodes to an existing dc MIGHT work depending on which version you
add and which version the losing replicas are running.