I wish there was an easy answer to this question. Like you pointed out it is
hardware dependent but software stack plays a big part. For instance, the JVM
you're running makes a difference too. Cassandra comes with netty and IIRC we
include tcnative which accelerates TLS. You could also slip Amazon's Corretto
Crypto Provider into your runtime. I am not suggesting using everything all at
once but a combination of libraries, runtimes, JVM, OS, cipher suites can make
a big difference. Therefore it is best to try it out on your stack.

Typically modern hardware has accelerators for common encryption algorithms. If
the software stack enables you to optimally take advantage of the hardware then
you could see very little to no impact on latencies.

Cassandra maintains persistent connections therefore the visible impact is on
connection establishment time (TLS handshake is expensive). Encryption will
make thundering herd problems worse. You should watch out for those two issues.

Dinesh