No, allocate_tokens_for_local_replication_factor does not exist in Cassandra 3. It was introduced in Cassandra 4.0.

Now, may I interest you with an upgrade? Not only Cassandra 4 comes with a lots of improvements and bug fixes, it's also a fairly painless process. I find it much easier to upgrade Cassandra than other databases or similar distributed software.

For your question about allocate_tokens_* , you can read it here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-7032

In short, the old vnode token allocation algorithm can cause load imbalance between nodes in large clusters, and the new algorithm takes the RF into consideration, resulting in a more load-balanced cluster.