Hello.

This company I am working for has small production cluster with the
following setup:

2 DCs
3 nodes each
RF = 3 (all keyspaces)
num_tokens = 4
repairs are up to date

We are in the process of adding more nodes to the cluster, although
while testing our procedures on a staging cluster (same setup), we
constantly get this error while the new node is in JOINING or LEAVING
stage:

"Server timeout during read query at consistency LocalQuorum (2
replica(s) responded over 3 required)"

Trying to understand why would Cassandra require 3 replicas when the
node is joining the cluster, when the quorum should be 2. We have no
such error when one of the three nodes is down as expected.

I have been bouncing around this error for a while now, so any hints
or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Luciano