Thanks Max, that's a good option to know about.

Unfortunately I have a fairly strict requirement for an agentless
architecture. It's possible to have some values set in cassandra-env for
example, but I can't say "download and install this jar here" (Jalokia
agent mode) or "run this code from here" (Jalokia proxy mode - Jalokia
would still be using JMX over RMI I assume, but the proxy shields my
application from having to make RMI calls directly).

Is JMX over RMI the only out-of-the-box way to communicate remotely with
Cassandra's MBean server?

Best,
Angelo