That doesn’t sound like a RHEL issue. Swapping can severely impact performance,
that’s why it is recommended to turn off swap on Cassandra nodes. This was
recommended in the Cassandra documentation by DataStax[1]. Apache Cassandra is
testing that and log a warning on startup [2] if swap is found enabled.

Alternatively, the kernel behaviour can be tuned by setting the IO cost of
swapping [3] that best fit your use-case. For a Cassandra node having
sufficient physical memory this might end up at zero swappiness to prevent
swapping at all [4].

[1]
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra-oss/3.x/cassandra/install/installRecommendSettings.html#Disableswap

<https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra-oss/3.x/cassandra/install/installRecommendSettings.html#Disableswap>