Running mixed versions of Cassandra 3.x and 4.x is supported in the same
cluster for the purpose of live upgrades, though certain features (such as
repair) are not supported while in a mixed-version state.

All of 3.0, 3.x, 4.0, and 4.1 can coexist for the purpose of upgrades. 4.0 and
4.1 are also fully compatible within the same cluster from a protocol
perspective.

But I wouldn’t expect it to be desirable to remain in such a configuration for
any longer than it takes to complete a rolling upgrade of all instances. If
you’d intended to remain in a mixed-version state for an extended period, could
you say more about what might motivate that?

– Scott