Mark Thomas wrote:
The validation query on its own does nothing. Have you tried setting
testOnBorrow="true" ? That may be sufficient if you can live with a slight delay
if a broken connection needs to be refreshed.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I have the "testWhileIdle=true" which I understood would run the validationQuery when the evictor thread fires up - is that correct? In limited testing, DBCP in this configuration seems to even re-establish connections after a database restart. Any further advice that you can offer in dealing w/ that situation?

Listed below is my current configuration which seems to be working. Many thanks for your help!

--john

<Resource name="jdbc/CHEETAH"
         type="javax.sql.DataSource"
         auth="Container"
         username="user"
         password="passwd"
         driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
         url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:1521:CHEETAH"
         maxActive="8"
         maxIdle="4"
         validationQuery="select 1 from dual"