sebb-2-2 wrote:

> On 15/06/2009, esharris <eshar...@mac.com> wrote:
>>

>>  esharris wrote:
>>  >
>>  > beeky wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> I'm jumping in sort of late on this, but here goes.
>>  >>
>>  >> To locate local config issues do the following.
>>  >>
>>  >> Create a simple script, call it 'view_cpath.bat', to invoke your app
>> and
>>  >> output the classpath before the line that calls your app.
>>  >>
>>  >> ------ begin script (windows batch file example):
>>  >> echo classpath=%classpath%
>>  >> java my.org.myapp %*
>>  >> -----  end script
>>  >>
>>  >> invoke your app with view_cpath.bat ... normal arg list ...
>>  >>
>>  >> With classpath in hand, check the following:
>>  >> 1. is the cli jar file explicitly named in the classpath?  *.jar will
>>  >> not work.
>>  >> 2. is the jar file actually in the place where the classpath says it
>>  >> should be?  Use dir or ls on classpath entries to be sure.
>>  >> 3. check for misspellings of the jar file name in classpath.  The
>>  >> spelling is relative, obviously both classpath entry and actual jar
>> file
>>  >> must be spelled the same.  Commons jar files have lots of '-' and
>> '.',
>>  >> it is easy to get them wrong.  I've done it many, many times!
>>  >>
>>  >> This will find the problem is it is just local configuration.
>>  >>
>>  >> To make sure you are using the correct jar file do the following.
>>  >> use 'jar tvf  commons-cli-1.1.jar' (from the directory that contain
>> the
>>  >> jar file) to view the contents of the jar file.  In the output you
>>  >> should see something like:
>>  >>
>>  >> 423 Wed Jul 04 19:48:06 EDT 2007
>>  >> org/apache/commons/cli/CommandLineParser.class
>>  >>
>>  >> If you don't see this you have a bad/wrong jar file.  Try downloading
>>  >> again.
>>  >>
>>  >> Hope this helps,
>>  >> -=beeky
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> esharris wrote:
>>  >>> This the only message:
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>  >>> org/apache/commons/cli/CommandLineParser.
>>  >>>
>>  >>> I only have 1.4.2 java on my machine.
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Earl
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Emmanuel Bourg-3 wrote:
>>  >>>
> [...]

The problem is not specified to a particular jar.

If I want to execute a class file with dependencies, I can do it using class
directories or jar files that are not immediately in the current directory.
I just use the -commandpath option and include the current directory.
If I want to execute a Jar file with dependencies, I can't do it. I need to
learn more about how to get Eclipse to create a manifest containing the
right class pathes.