Hi,

I'm considering using either SharedPoolDataSource or PerUserPoolDataSource to
do some connection pooling but I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any
way to configure an upper bound on the total number of connections in the pool
across all users.

For example, say I have 5,000 named users in my database.  Any of the 5,000 can
come in to request a DB connection at any time, but likely no more than, say,
100 of them will ever be active at a particular point in time.  If I want to
allow 3 connections per user, how do I ensure that I'm not eventually going to
end up with 15,000 open connection over time.

It looks like the "maxTotal" setting on the GenericObjectPool (and
GenericKeyedObjectPool) can be used to control this such that when this
absolute upper bound is reached on the pool the least recently used 15% of
connections will be recycled.  But neither SharedPoolDataSource nor
PerUserPoolDataSource expose any way to configure maxTotal.

Is there another recommended way to solve this problem?  What do high-traffic
web containers like Tomcat or JBoss do to deal with this scenario (if they do
deal with it)?

Thanks in advance!

scott