On 8/26/14 8:37 AM, Kulpanowski, David wrote:
> Messrs. Worden and Eckenfels:
>
> Thank you both for your kind assistance.
>
> Mr. Worden:
> your solution works perfectly. This is exactly what I am looking for.
>
> Mr. Eckenfels:
> Please excuse my lack of java coding skills. I am working on it by taking on
> projects at my job. I think your solution will work and I want to use it in
> my code because I am now going to use Apache Commons Math for more
> sophisticated statistics such as regression and hypothesis testing. For
> example, is the mean average ambulance response time in Cape Coral the
> statistically significantly different from the mean average response time in
> Fort Myers. I anticipate needing your code so I need to ask for additional
> help:
>
> In the final line of code Eclipse is putting a red underline under
> ArrayUtils.
>
> ArrayList<Double> times = new ArrayList<>();
> while (rset.next())
> {
> times.add(Double.valueOf(rset.getDouble("M_SecondsAtStatus")));
> }
> double timesArray[] = ArrayUtils.toPrimitive(times.toArray());
>
> My mouse hovers over it and the message is: "ArrayUtils cannot be resolved".
> Eclipse offers nine quick fixes:
> 1.) create class ArrayUtils.
> 2.) create constant ArrayUtils
> 3.) create local variable ArrayUtils
> 4.) change to ArgUtils
> 5.) change to Array
> 6.) change to Arrays
> 7.) create field ArrayUtils
> 8.) create parameter ArrayUtils
> 9.) fix project set up
>
> Which one should I use to output my data in a format Apache Commons Math will
> utilize in its functions?

Are you perhaps trying to use ArrayUtils from commons lang?  In that
case, you need to import that class from lang.  But as Brent
suggested, it would be easier for you in this case not to build the
list of values at all, but just add them to a DescriptiveStatistics
(or SummaryStatistics) instance that will accumulate stats based on
the stream of values that you give it using addValue(double).  The
difference between DescriptiveStatistics and SummaryStatistics is
that the first one stores the full dataset in memory, so can provide
a few more statistics.  SummaryStatistics does not store the full
data array so can be used with very large samples.

Phil

>>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter