One problem with that is that Apache developers are generally not paid by
Oracle or others to extend support for Java 6 support in anything, so we
tend to stick to what is publicly supported instead. The publicly available
releases of Java 6 have been EOL for quite a while now. This is why a lot
of Apache projects have been migrating to Java 7 this year and last year.

As for preventing issues while building for Java 6 but using Java 7, I
believe you can specify a bootstrap classpath for the JDK so that the code
you compile is compiled against the JDK 6 classes while running in Java 7.
In Maven, there is the animal sniffer plugin which can fail your build if
you use any new classes or methods from JDK 7, and there's most likely a
similar plugin for Gradle.