On 11/17/17 3:27 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> Should not happen.  In most cases like this, it turns out not to be
>>> the pool that closed the connection.  The most common causes of this
>>> are network connectivity problems or the server closing the
>>> connection due to idle timeout.  The latter seems unlikely given
>>> that you have idle eviction configured.  Is it possible that some
>>> clients are holding connections for a very long time without using
>>> them?  The evictor only acts on connections that are idle in the
>>> pool (i.e. it does not do anything to connections that are checked
>>> out to clients).
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> My program does its work once a minute, and I had also configured the
>> idle eviction to run once a minute.
>>
>> Just to see what it would do, I slightly changed the run interval for
>> the idle eviction -- for one of the object pools, adding 943
>> milliseconds, and 944 milliseconds for the other.  I've only seen the
>> problem happen once since making that change, where before it would
>> happen several times per day.  This isn't actual evidence, but it is
>> curious.
> See comment below on the config.
>> Although a network problem is always a possibility, it's not likely.
>> It's a gigabit LAN with Cisco switches.  I will trace the network path
>> and check all the switch logs to see whether that might indeed be the
>> problem.
>>
>>> That should not be possible, as once a connection has been checked
>>> out, it is not eligible for eviction.  And even if it were evicted
>>> by the pool, the pool would set the DelegatingConnection's closed
>>> property to true so isValid would return false rather than
>>> throwing.  It looks like the situation here is that the pool thinks
>>> the connection is open, but the underlying physical connection has
>>> been closed.
>> The code is within a try/catch block that traps all exceptions, so I am
>> 100 percent certain that isValid is not throwing an exception, it's just
>> returning false.
> OK, sorry I misread your initial post.  That means either the pool
> agrees that the connection is closed (which would point to a pool or
> DBCP bug) or the driver's isValid() on the underlying physical
> connection is returning true (without throwing).
Sorry, I meant "false" above.  DelegatingConnection's isValid is just

public boolean isValid(int timeout) throws SQLException {
        if (isClosed()) {
            return false;
        }
        try {
            return _conn.isValid(timeout);
        }
        catch (SQLException e) {
            handleException(e);
            return false;
        }
    }

Note that the validation query is not executed here.  That query is
only used by the pool lifecycle methods when you have testOnBorrow,
testOnReturn or testWhileIdle set to true.  handleExeption as
overridden by PoolableConnection rethrows.  _conn is the underlying
physical connection,

Phil