On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 13:34, Daryl Stultz <daryl.stu...@opentempo.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to replace an old CSV library with commons-csv. I seem to be
> having trouble with the most basic idea of the parser recognizing content
> that is quoted.
>
> I've discovered this bug here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CSV-228
>
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CSV-228>The issue refers to the
> parsing of the header, but it doesn't seem to matter what row the
> comma-quoting is on.

According to my reading of RFC4180[1], the fields between delimiters
are either either escaped or non-escaped.
non-escaped fields can include spaces, but not comma
escaped fields must start with the double-quote; leading spaces are
not permitted.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180

> There's no way I can use this product with this defect. That's unfortunate, I
> like the API and OpenCSV quotes every bit of content when printing which I
> don't like.

Now that is the case for DEFAULT and RFC4180.

I've not looked into the withTrim() option.
If that is supposed to trim before handling quoted fields, then I
agree that there seems to be a bug here.
But if the trim is only supposed to apply to the un-quoted field, then
the current behaviour seems OK, even if it's not what you expect.