It uses a timer - basically if the condition holds true after XXX amount of
time (XXX is milliseconds) then the rule will activate.
Use it for temporal rules in stateful applications, eg alarms, monitoring,
escalatino etc. The "trouble ticket" example I believe uses it.

For really long running tasks though, it is not suitable (as it uses a
timer) - best to use a process engine like jBPM for persistable long running
timed tasks.