My JAVA_OPTS is fine.

I decided to try out the MySql setup using liferay-portal-4.2.0.war, liferay-portal-sql-4.2.0.zip, liferay-portal-dependencies-4.2.0.zip and roughly following the 4.0 install doc
http://content.liferay.com/4.0.0/docs/install/ch01s01.html

After modifying the geronomo-web.xml file to match my database pool settings i manage to load liferay into geronomo
but when starting it i get the following error.

ERROR [[/liferay]] Error configuring application listener of class com.liferay.portal.servlet.PortalSessionListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/liferay/portal/PortalException
  :

and yes looking in the portal-kernel-2.4.jar (and the other dependency jars) checking for the com.liferay.portal.servlet path it dose not exist, without looking at the source code the closest you get to the package path is com.liferay.portal.kernel.servlet

It seems that ether the web.xml file or the portal-kernel-2.4.jar file has been packed wrongly.

Dose anyone familiar with Liferay know whats going on?

As I mentioned i modified the geronimo-web.xml file a bit as it assumed a dependency (and context root) as follows
<dependency>
  <groupId>liferay</groupId>
  <artifactId>liferay-pool</artifactId>
  <type>car</type>
</dependency>

<context-root>/</context-root>

to the following using the geronimo database pool wizard to set up the mysql pool and changing the context root to /liferay so that it would not clash with the welcome app.

<dependency>
  <groupId>console.dbpool</groupId>
  <artifactId>LiferayPool</artifactId>
  <type>rar</type>
</dependency>

<context-root>/liferay</context-root>

This worked find and geronimo accepted the plan and deployed the liferay app. Assuming I get hold of the right dependancy jar:s (or already have them) should they maybe be set up as dependency:s in the geronimo-web.xml file to make sure the classes get loaded?

/Peter