Michael C. wrote:
I am working on getting you the exact string for the addRecipient call
between other daily endeavors.  Meanwhile, we changed our code to use the
getInstance() and get the same authentication error.  I reviewed the
geronimo SMTPTransport class to see what is going on and found these
constants:

    private static final char CR = 13;
    private static final char LF = 10;
    private static final String MAIL_HOST = "mail.host";
    private static final String MAIL_SMTP_LOCALHOST = "mail.smtp.localhost";
    private static final String MAIL_SMTP_PORT = "mail.smtp.port";
    private static final int MIN_MILLIS = 60000;
    private static final String DEFAULT_MAIL_HOST = "localhost";
    private static final int DEFAULT_MAIL_SMTP_PORT = 25;

you might want to add to your properties "mail.debug" with a value of "true". I guess the only other thing that would help me now is a stack trace for the authentication error so I can see where this is coming from. The SMTPTransport should only attempt to authenticate with the server if the property "mail.smtp.auth" has been set to true.

Rick

I cross-referenced these tags with our email configuration properties file
and found that we are using mail.smtp.host which does not exist here.  So i
added it to our email properties.  The class does default to port 25 so that
should not be an issue.  We also only need host-name and port to connect and
these entries are in our properties.  We debugged our app and saw the mail
Session object does contain the port and host name properties as they are
identified in the constants of the geronimo SMTPTransport class.  We still
get the authentication error.  Is there any other configuration that we
could be missing?

 To summarize:

-We modified our email deployment plan shown below
-we removed our GBEAN references from the earlier 1.0 version
-we removed the mail.jar from our classpath
-we changed our send() method to use getInstance() instead of
getDefaultInstance()
-we validated the host and port number (which is all that is needed) is in
the mail Session object before sending the email

Here is our plan we have deployed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <module xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1";> <dep:environment xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1";> <dep:moduleId> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>javamail-server</dep:artifactId> </dep:moduleId> <dep:dependencies> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-javamail</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.3.1_spec</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-activation</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.0.2_spec</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-javamail-transport</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.0</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-mail</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-management</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> </dep:dependencies> <dep:hidden-classes/> <dep:non-overridable-classes/> </dep:environment> </module>

Rick McGuire wrote:
Well, ok. You are creating your own mail session, but I really recommend you NOT use getDefaultInstance(). If something else in the JVM has done a getDefaultInstance() call, then you're going to end up with an instance with a different configuration than you expect. getInstance() will return an instance that respects your property bundle.

Once you've fixed that, if you're still having the problem, then you need to look at what properties you are passing in when you create the session. Done the way you are doing now, your host, port, userid, and password should all be defined there, since it appears that the target SMTP server is requiring authentication.

As for the still unresolved problem of the internet address parsing, I'm looking for the exact string that is getting passed into the addRecipient() call. I really don't care where it comes from, I just want have the exact string so I can write some test cases to make sure that string is getting parsed compatibly with the Sun implementation.

Rick

Michael C. wrote:
Here is our send logic, a lot of code has been omitted, including error
handling...

public void send(EmailMessage outboundMsg) {

                String workString;
                MimeMessage message;

                Properties systemProp =
SystemImpl.getInstance().getApplicationProperties("System_Defaults");

                workString = systemProp.getProperty("mail.smtp.host");

                Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(systemProp, null);

                try {
                        message = new MimeMessage(session);

                        if( !outboundMsg.isBccEmpty() ) {
                                message.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.BCC,
new
InternetAddress(outboundMsg.getBcc().trim()));
                        }

                        if( !outboundMsg.isCcEmpty() ) {
                                message.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.CC,
new
InternetAddress(outboundMsg.getCc().trim()));
                        }

        message.setFrom(new InternetAddress(outboundMsg.getFrom().trim()));

// ***NOTE: Geronimo 1.0 has an incomplete implementation for JavaMail.
There is no implementation for //"addRecipient". The recommended workaround is to use "SetRecipient". Version 1.1 is supposed to //address the issue. However, we may be able to continue to use the
"setRecipient" going forward.
//

message.addRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO, new
InternetAddress(outboundMsg.getTo().trim()));
                                message.setRecipient(Message.RecipientType.TO,
new
InternetAddress(outboundMsg.getTo().trim()));
                        }
        message.setSubject(outboundMsg.getSubject());

                        //Determine if this message is to be sent as text or
html and setup
accordingly
                        if (outboundMsg.getMimeType().endsWith("plain")) {
                                message.setText(outboundMsg.getText());
                        }
                        else {
                message.setContent(outboundMsg.getText(),
outboundMsg.getMimeType());
                        }

                        Transport.send(message);

                }

//end send logic

The outboundMsg.getTo() and outboundMsg.getFrom() just return strings for
the actual email addresses configured in our properties files or from
input
fields on pages that vary on an application basis.

Rick McGuire wrote:
Michael C. wrote:
We are finally using the SMTPTransport class from Geronimo.  We had a
mail.jar file on our system path that was being picked up.  At this
point,
we are getting an AuthenticationFailedException.  If we do not need a
GBEAN
configuration, how do we configure our mail server and port number in
the
plan?  Or should we not need to since our application logic is reading
this
information from an external file and will "tranparently" pass this
information to the geronimo SMTPTransport class.
I hate to keep asking the same question over and over again, but I'm afraid I have to. How you configure the transport depends on how you are creating the mail session within your application. This includes setting up authentication information if your target SMTP server requires it. If you are creating the session by doing:

Session mySession = Session.getInstance(props);

Then you are responsible for configuring things like the server and port number in the property bundle you use to create the session. No GBean configuration is necessary, or even has any effect if you do happen to specify it.

If you are using InitialContext.lookup() to get the configured mail session GBean, then you DO need to have a configured mail session and can set up things like the authentication information on the SMTPTransport definition.

Below is the new error and includes the form of the email address we
were
using, which is actually the FROM address, but seems to be treating it
as
TO address according to the error:
I really would like to see the exact string being set in the API call, not the string reported by the error message. However, an authentication failure us different than the error you were reporting earlier, and indicates you've not provided correct information for accessing the target server.

Rick

.war/WEB-INF/lib/geronimo-javamail-transport.jar!/META-INF/javamail.default.providers

DEBUG: loading new provider protocol=smtp,
className=org.apache.geronimo.javamail.transport.smtp.SMTPTransport,
vendor=Apache Software Foundation, version=1.0

DEBUG: getProvider() returning provider protocol=smtp;
[EMAIL PROTECTED];
class=org.apache.geronimo.javamail.transport.smtp.SMTPTransport;
vendor=Apache Software Foundation;version=1.0

<<Error>> Fri Jan 26 16:28:04 EST 2007 <;>
Class=framework.services.OutboundEmailMgr <;> ID=2 <;> Message=Could
not
send eMail to address [EMAIL PROTECTED] <;>
Thread=Thread[WebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
Exception=javax.mail.SendFailedException: Send failure
(javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: null):Send failure
(javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: null) <</Error>>

Rick McGuire wrote:
Michael C. wrote:
We removed all references to the sun mail.jar file in the geronimo
classpath
and i removed the GBEAN references from the geronimo email plan and
left
only the geronimo mail dependency jars.  We undeployed the old plan
and
redeployed the new and ran the application.  We recieved an error
that
expected.  The app could not find the provider for smtp.  Since our
application references the sun javax.mail SMTP class indirectly via
the
javax.mail.Transport.send(message); call, i am not sure how
internally
geronimo would resolve to use the geronimo SMTPTransport mail class.
Transport.send() uses the context class loader to identify and load
the list of Transport and Store providers using files contained in the META-INF directories of the jar files. Once the classpath is set up correctly, it's all automatic. Your original problem was caused by having both the sun mail.jar in the classpath with the Geronimo mail jars. This caused the Sun version to end up overriding the Geronimo version. This might actually work, but it appears you might have hit an incompatibility. I'm willing to chase that incompatibility, but I'll need the exact form of the address you used to add the address.

But, i
thought somehow the geronimo email plan we deployed would handle
this. Here
is the error:

Thu Jan 25 16:33:49 EST 2007 <;> <;> ID=3 <;> Message=Could not
locate
the
internet provider for [EMAIL PROTECTED]<;>
Thread=Thread[AmicaWebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
Exception=javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException: Unable to locate
provider
for
protocol: smtp:Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp
We cannot change our application logic to use the geronimo
SMTPTransport
class since our production environment is not Geronimo.  Here is our
application import list:

import javax.mail.Message;
import javax.mail.MessagingException;
import javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException;
import javax.mail.SendFailedException;
import javax.mail.Session;
import javax.mail.Transport;
import javax.mail.internet.AddressException;
import javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;
import javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage;

We cannot change these imports due to the reasons i mentioned above,
but
since the javax.mail.Transport object uses the
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport class, how can we tell it to use the
geronimo SMTPTransport class?  Should this be handled by our plan
without
having to change our application code?  here is the plan we deployed:
You shouldn't have to, this should be getting resolved automatically. The critical dependencies to make this happen are the javamail spec jar, the activation jar, and the javamail transport jar (geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec, geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec and geronimo-javamail-transport). You do not need a dependency on geronimo-mail and you do not need to configure a mail session GBean unless your application obtains the mail session by doing a jndi
lookup.

I have seen a problem where some application environments (e.g, the Quartz scheduler) were not setting the correct thread context class loader before calling the application methods. This resulted in a failure because the incorrect class loader was getting used to resolve the javamail transport code. In this case, it was necessary to set the context class loader using the load obtained from "this.getClass().getClassLoader()"

.
Rick
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <module xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1";> <dep:environment xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1";> <dep:moduleId> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>javamail-server</dep:artifactId> </dep:moduleId> <dep:dependencies> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-mail</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>geronimo-javamail-transport</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version> <dep:type>jar</dep:type> <dep:import>classes</dep:import> </dep:dependency> <dep:dependency> <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId> <dep:artifactId>rmi-naming</dep:artifactId> <dep:version>1.1.1</dep:version> <dep:type>car</dep:type> </dep:dependency> </dep:dependencies> <dep:hidden-classes/> <dep:non-overridable-classes/> </dep:environment> </module>

Rick McGuire wrote:
Michael C. wrote:
Thank  you for your replies, they are greatly appreciated.  I would
like
step back for a moment and be sure i understand the big picture.

When our team first changed over from WSAD to MyEclipse and decided
use
Geronimo 1.0 as our local app server, we ran into this same email
problem. I found that there were some email bugs in the Geronimo 1.0
version,
and
that you had to use the geronimo-mail.jar and the
geronimo-javamail-transport.jar files, and configure geronimo thru
GBEAN
to use these jars to fix the email issue.  Maybe already, my
understanding
was incorrect but this did fix the issue.

We just upgraded to geronimo 1.1.1 and re-introduced the same email
issue. I have read where this email issue was fixed with 1.1.1. But
without
any
changes, we still throw errors.  When i deployed the new email
plan(in
my
earlier threads), we still throw errors.  So i have a couple
questions...

Since our application code uses the javax.mail.* packages, it would
be
best
to configure geronimo to use these packages for email.  To be
honest,
if
this is fixed with 1.1.1, then why are there still geronimo version
email
packages in the new install?

Our intent would certainly be to use the mail packages from Sun
since
this
is the .jar file used in our app and our WebSphere production
server. Is
it
an option to configure Geronimo to use this mail.jar file and if
so,
how
do
we go about doing it?
Geronimo comes with its own implementation of the javax.mail.* apis
and it's own transport implementation. The javax.mail APIs are used by other components (e.g., Axis) so they are pretty fundamental to Geronimo operations and show up in a lot of dependencies.
Unfortunately, part of javamail processing is locating and loading
all transport implementations contained in jars on the classpath. If both the sun jar and the geronimo jars are present, then both sets of transports get loaded and depending on the search order, the default transports can end up being the Sun versions. This appears to be what's happening in this case.
My recommendation is to just use the geronimo jar files, and remove
the Sun versions. The setup is very similar to the previous release. You only actually need to configure a GBean if you're using a mail resource. If you're just directly using the mail apis, you only
need
to add the jar files to your dependency list.

Rick

Rick McGuire wrote:
The message about unable to relay for that address is sent back
from
the SMTP server. I'm not sure what it didn't like, but it appears it couldn't figure out where to relay the message.
The part I find interesting is the stack trace.  You're using the
Sun javamail transport implementation, not the Geronimo one. The API code (javax.mail.* appears to be the Geronimo version). Is that what you intended? I know we've never tested that combo, so it's unclear how well that would work. You might want to check around for a spurious mail.jar file. Having that in your classpath can potentially
cause
the other transports to get registered and override the Geronimo ones.

Rick

Michael C. wrote:
I tried your approach and that particular error went away but now
believe i
am back to the root cause of all this effort; our email logic is
throwing
an
error on this line in our application:

javax.mail.Transport.send(message);

Message=Could not send eMail to address [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<;>
Thread=Thread[AmicaWebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
Exception=javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses
(javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

):Invalid Addresses (javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 5.7.1
Unable
relay for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thu Jan 25 09:28:14 EST 2007 <;>  Message=Could not send eMail to
address
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<;>
Thread=Thread[AmicaWebApp--TP-Processor3,5,main] <;> Original
Exception=javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses
(javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

):Invalid Addresses (javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 5.7.1
Unable
relay for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

) :Could not send eMail to address [EMAIL PROTECTED]
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses
(javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

)
      at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:804)
      at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:320)
      at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:93)
      at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:46)

Caused by: javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to
relay
for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
      at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:672)

I supplemented the real address but we are using a good address. This
error
only occurs in our local testing using Geronimo but once we move
our
code
the next tier where WebSphere is running, everything works fine. There
is a
configuration issue that i do not understand.

djencks wrote:
It looks to me as if the error message is fairly clear about the first think that is wrong with your xml....

<resource-ref>
            <property>MailSession</property>
            <res-type>javax.mail.Session</res-type>
            <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
            <pattern>
                 <name>mail/MailSession</name>
            </pattern>
        </resource-ref>

Caused by: org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlException: Invalid deployment descriptor:
[error: cvc-complex-type.2.4a: Expected element
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.1' instead
of
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.1' here in element
[EMAIL PROTECTED]://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.1,
I think this will work:
<resource-ref>
            <ref-name>MailSession</ref-name>
            <resource-link>mail/MailSession</resource-link>
        </resource-ref>

and I also think that if you name the mail session the same in
your app and your mail-server plan you won't need any entry in the geronimo-web.xml at all.