I don't think this is possible in Geronimo 1.1.1, at least not without reconfiguring and redeploying the Tomcat gbeans. But I just committed a fix for GERONIMO-3376 to the 2.0.1 branch that should allow you to specify the maxActiveSessions setting in your geronimo-web.xml as follows:

<manager>TomcatManager</manager>
<gbean name="TomcatManager" class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.ManagerGBean"> <attribute name="className">org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager</attribute>
    <attribute name="initParams">
        maxActiveSessions=10
    </attribute>
</gbean>