I don't have a test env to try this out, but from looking at the Tomcat docs it looks like you may need to configure JvmRouteBinderValve. Something like:

<gbean gbeanInfo="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.ValveGBean" name="org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/car? ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.0.1/ car,j2eeType=TomcatValve,name=JvmRouteBinderValve">
        <attribute name="className">
org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve
</attribute>
<attribute name="initParams">enabled=true</attribute>
</gbean>

Best wishes,
Paul