On Sep 24, 2007, at 5:34 AM, Jörg Henne wrote:

Hi all,

we are currently investigating alternatives to JBoss AS. While Geromino looks really, really promising, I could not quite make out whether Geronimo features an equivalent to JBoss SARs, we absolutely need. In case you are not familiar with SARs, here's the bottom line:

* SARs are similar to EARs in that they present a self-contained application including descriptors, Code and, possibly libraries. * In contrast to EARs, SARs don't deploy enterprise applications (Web Applications, EJBs), but services. * Services are quite simply MBeans implementing a service interface that lets the service hook into the container life-cycle (start/ stop) along with a descriptor detailing dependencies etc.

This sounds a lot like GBeans, however, I don't see how GBeans can be deployed in a self-contained fashion. To make this a bit clearer, here is our use case:

* Deploy services other than J2EE apps. Think, for example, implementations of classic UNIX services like NFS, TFTP etc. * We would like to be able to just drop the service packages somewhere for deployment. * They should be self-contained so that they can use their own isolated class loader, in order to overcome possible library version conflicts.
* Of course we need the life-cycle hooks.
* Oh, and did I mention: hot (re-) deployment would be great...

Does Geronimo offer something along those lines?

yes, you guessed right :-). services would correspond to gbeans and sars to geronimo modules. The largest set of geronimo modules is geronimo :-). Look in configs for lots of examples and feel free to ask lots more questions. There's a dependency-between-modules system so you can stop/start/redeploy a module and dependent services will at least stop: I don't recall if they automatically restart if you redeploy a module.

Thanks
Joerg Henne

--
levigo software gmbh  ----------  ein unternehmen der levigo gruppe
Max-Eyth-Strasse 30                        Telefon: 07031 / 4161-30