On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Paul Speed <psp...@users.sourceforge.net>wrote:

> Yeah, this is the pretty classic separation.  It's basically the conceptual
> difference between "managing by walking around" and "management by
> exception".
>
> On a forum, I only look at the stuff I'm interested in... if I even bother
> to remember to go to the site.  I'm not active enough with gradle so I'd
> probably never visit unless I needed something.
>
> For e-mail, I just next,next,next,next through the unread messages (I
> understand some e-mail clients don't give you a nice key for this which I
> find unfathomable ;)).  It takes a few seconds and sometimes I see something
> interesting that I otherwise wouldn't have drilled into.
>
> If you are already viewing e-mail through a web page then I can see how it
> makes no difference.  In a real web client, I can skim through a hundred
> messages in about 20 seconds.... it's a big deal.  That same thing would
> take up to an hour on a web site.  No time for that.
>
> Notifications from the forum are nice when they are working.  Routinely
> this sort of thing goes down unnoticed, messages are missed, etc...

I'm confident that we can provide a reliable notification mechanism for our
forum. This is a must have. As many of us here at Gradleware will rely on a
notification mechanism by email any problems with that would be soon
discovered.

> and without being able to respond through e-mail that's sometimes the one
> extra hurdle that prevents a response ("Gee, what login did I use again...
> oh, never mind.")  This is why a list->forum bridge is appealing to some
> communities.

I see your point. I mean I personally couldn't live without a password
manager anymore. And GS allows you to use your Twitter and Google accounts
for logging in. This means for some people that they will reply because it
is so easy instead of bothering to subscribe to a mailing list.

Replying via email would be cool. I would love to see that feature. It does
not easily allow to vote or describe your emotions ;) but  I guess many
folks could live with that. I'm not sure if this is a planned feature. At
least you have a link in the rss/email notification for replying. All in
all, even without that feature, I still think it is a big progress provided
the notification works as expected.

Hans