I noticed a cute trick while checking out the Gaelyk stuff: they use
GitHub as a Maven repository. Unfortunately, it required a fair bit of
ugliness for the user and a bunch of manual stuff for the developer.
So I just wrote a script (and a fragment of the GitHub API v3) in
order to support this trick without the same amount of ugliness.

Using the script, your project's jar (and its POM) are uploaded to
GitHub in such a way that the user can fetch them down.

You can see the details here:
https://github.com/RobertFischer/gradle-github-dev

Enjoy.

~~ Robert.