Dynamic versions such as 1.8.+ do work with ivy repositories. This
functionality relies on directory listing by the repository to get the list
of available revisions.
It's often useful to run the build with "--refresh-dependencies --info" to
assist with understanding and rectifying dependency resolution issues.
Daz