You probably want to read this...
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#performance

-----Original Message-----
From: Hiller, Dean x66079 [mailto:dean.hil...@broadridge.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:22 PM
To: hbase-u...@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: performance monitoring question

So, we were loading from a single client and had a queue.  The queue kept
getting up to the fill level even though 20 threads are emptying the queue
while 1 thread is pushing into the queue implying writing to hbase was making
it fill up my queue.  Checking cpu and iostat for disk utilization on the
client, we don't really see the client as a bottleneck, but this fights every
bone in my body so I ran the client on two nodes to process half the items it
was processing to begin with and sure enough, it doubled the speed and that
node was a bottleneck.

I keep thinking maybe the Bus was at 100% utilization or something that is not
measurable.  The disk was not really showing anything vs. when we make hadoop
map/reduce against Sybase and we see the disk utilization go to 100% making it
easy to spot.  Anyone have any experience with monitoring at all and good stats
to capture.

We were looking at "iostat -x 5 25" on linux to see how cpu and disk were
doing, and then measuring the network which is near-zero right now as well as
monitoring memory.  Anyone else have some good commands to make it easier to
spot a bottleneck?

Thanks,
Dean

attachments from your system.