Hi Willy

Yes I agree that META/ROOT recovery should happen as fast as possible.
Which version of HBase are you using?

Lot of fixes have gone into the latest versions regarding the recovery part.

You can take a look at HBASE-6713 also if you are using any of the latest
versions.

If you can post the logs it would be great so that we can identify the
scenario in which the recovery took time.  If it looks like a bug we can
file a JIRA and work on resolving it.
In current HBase trunk lot of activites w.r.t MTTR (Mean time to Recover) is
happening.
Inputs towards MTTR will always be taken with highest priority.

Thanks & Regards
Ram