Hi there-

re:  "From what I have understood, these properties are not for Hbase but
for the Hbase client which we write. They tell the client where to look for
ZK."

Yep.  That's how it works.  Then the client looks up ROOT/META and then
the client talks directly to the RegionServers.

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#client