Sorry I'm late to this thread but I was the guy behind HBASE-7221 and the
algorithms specifically mentioned were MD5 and Murmur (not SHA-1).  And
implementation of Murmur already exists in Hbase, and the MD5
implementation was the one that ships with Java.

The intent was to include hashing appropriate for use with key
distribution of rowkeys in tables as is often suggested on the dist-lists.
 SHA-1 is probably overkill for the rowkey case, but I wouldn't want to
stop anybody from using SHA-1 if it was appropriate for their needs.