I'm confused -- I only see one setting in CDH manager, what is the name of the
other setting?

Our load is moderately frequent small writes (in batches of 1000 cells at a
time, typically split over a few hundred rows -- these complete very fast, we
haven't seen any timeouts there), and infrequent batches of large reads
(scans), which is where we do see timeouts. My guess is that the timeout is
more due to our application taking some time -- apparently more than 60s -- to
process the results of each scan's output, rather than due to slowness in HBase
itself, which tends to be only moderately loaded (judging by CPU, network, and
disk) while we do the reads.

Thanks,
- Dan