Referring to your comment above again

"If you doing a prefix scan w/ row1c, we should be starting the scan at
row1c, not row1 (or more correctly at the row that starts the block we
believe has a row1c row in it...)"

I am trying to understand how you could seek right across to the block
containing "row1c" using the HFile Index. If the index is just built on
HFile keys and there is no demarcation b/w rows and col(s), you would hit
the block for "row1,col1". After that you would either need a way to skip
right across to "row1c" after you find that this is not the row you are
looking for or you will have to simply keep scanning and discarding
sequentially until you get "row1c". If you have to keep scanning and
discarding, then that is probably suboptimal. But if there is a way to skip
right across from "row1,col1" to "row1c", then thats great, though I wonder
how that would be implemented.

Varun