Jesse, James, Lars,

after looking around a bit and in particular looking into Phoenix (which I find very interesting), assuming that you want a secondary indexing on HBASE without adding other infrastructure, there seems to be not a lot of choice really: Either go with a region-level (and co-processor based) indexing feature (Phoenix, Huawei, is IHBase dead?) or add an index table to store (index value, entity key) pairs.

The main concern I have with region-level indexing (RLI) is that Gets potentially require to visit all regions. Compared to global index tables this seems to flatten the read-scalability curve of the cluster. In our case, we have a large data set (hence HBASE) that will be queried (mostly point-gets via an index) in some linear correlation with its size.

Is there any data on how RLI (or in particular Phoenix) query throughput correlates with the number of region servers assuming homogeneously distributed data?

Thanks,
Henning