On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 22:03, Ajay Sharma<sharmaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
> has anybody worked on REST interface to Neo4j??

Hi Ajay,

Well, there are a number of on-going experiments with REST but they
haven't converged or, I believe, stabilized yet:

   a) Andreas Ronge has been playing around with a REST API to his
Neo4j.rb Ruby bindings:
http://github.com/andreasronge/neo4j/tree/master

   b) Martin Kleppmann is writing a Scala wrapper that'll include a
JSON REST API. Plan is to release "soon" on github as per
http://twitter.com/martinkl/status/2123376390.

   c) I've played around with creating a thin REST API on top of Neo4j
based on Jersey. But it probably won't be usable for a while yet.

I think adding a REST API to Neo4j is important for debugging, for
introspection and for tooling. But in a real application scenario, you
want to have a service layer that exposes domain oriented abstractions
rather than underlying representations on the wire. The only thing
that makes sense then is to roll your own REST layer (which speaks
"Persons" or "Orders" or "Companies" rather than Nodes and
Relationships). Your domain-oriented REST layer in turn interacts with
a domain layer that is implemented as usual by delegating to Neo4j.
(See the IMDB app on the wiki for an example of the last part.)

Martin Fowler's elaborates a bit on this in DatabaseThaw:

   http://martinfowler.com/bliki/DatabaseThaw.html

In his lingo, I advocate an ApplicationDatabase rather than an
IntegrationDatabase. And that's why your REST layer should speak the
language of your application.

Does that answer your question?

Emil Eifrém, CEO [e...@neotechnology.com]
Neo Technology, www.neotechnology.com
Cell: +46 733 462 271 | US: 206 403 8808
http://twitter.com/emileifrem