Yes, the file system cache that lives outside the JVM heap.

Thanks for your reply - it's really helped me out. I understand now that
the OS is caching the file system cache between restarts of the Neo4J JVM.

For my use case I think I will have to have think about the best strategy
for warming the cache in the event of a full OS restart (although hopefully
this would be a rare event :))