It cannot directly be done through the standard API, but of course it can be
implemented.
I do this myself in an application I am building. For every RelationshipType, i
create a Node and between those Nodes there can have subtyping relationships.
To make lookup fast, I use the node-id of the RelationshipTypeNodes as the
RelationshipType name, and give it a more meaningful name by means of a
property on the RelationshipTypeNode.
This way the Node belonging to a RelationshipType can be fetched without
overhead and it allows me to change the name of the relationhip type. Downside
to the approach is that relationhips have no meaningful name when displayed in
neoclipse.
Of course you need to write your own methods to fetch relationships from nodes,
because you may want to fetch not only the ones with the RelationhipType you
supply, but also those with a RelationshipType that is a subtype thereof.
Niels