My main question here is how do I talk to a standalone Neo4J Server
using the Java API, can anyone provide a java example?
Can the java api talk to an already running standalone Neo4J Server?

I have played with EmbeddedGraphDatabase.

If I have a web app (Grails/Groovy - Java), which method of talking to
Neo4J would I use - EmbeddedGraphDatabase or Standalone Server?

One example I have seen:

AbstractGraphDatabase graphdb = getGraphDb();
WrappingNeoServerBootstrapper srv;
srv = new WrappingNeoServerBootstrapper( graphdb );
srv.start();
// The server is now running
// until we stop it:
srv.stop();

How do I create the AbstractGraphDatabase?
Is this really talking to the standalone server or is getGraphDb just
instantiating an EmbeddedGraphDatabase and wrapping that to enable the
web stats?

Is it best to start the server as a service or start it from the web
app?

Thanks
David