Josef,
Yes, N1 is locked during the creation of the relationship. Different than a
table, Neo4j actually stor direct links between the nodes as relationships,
making data-local traversals without index lookups possible. This means
both nodes will be locked during the TX1 .

HTH

/Peter

On Tuesday, January 10, 2012, Josef Holy <josef.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hello neo4j-ers,
>
> I have question - when 2 threads (in embedded neo4j mode) want to
concurrently create the following RELs A and B (each within their own
transaction, nodes N1, N2 and N3 existed before):

> Thread 1 - tx1 - N1--RELA-->N2
> Thread 2 - tx2 - N1--RELB-->N3
>
> does the node N1 represent critical section? I mean - if Thread 2's tx2
starts later, does it have to wait till Thread 1's tx1 finishes and thus
releases node N1?

> Sorry for asking, but I don't know the neo4j internals and I would
expect, that the creation of relationship wouldn't lock the 2 nodes -
similarly to the relational (SQL) db, where adding rows to M:N
'relationship' table also doesn't lock records in the entity table(s)...

> Please advise...
>

> Thanks a lot!
>
> -Josef.

/peter neubauer