From: Sebastian Nagel <wastl.na...@googlemail.com.INVALID>
Sent: Monday, 25 October, 2021 5:31 PM
To: user@nutch.apache.org
Subject: Re: Encrypt or Mask the password

Hi Shi Wei,

for the nutch-site.xml it's possible to use Java properties and/or environment
variables, see section "Variable expansion" in

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.3.1/api/org/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration.html

In case you're asking about index-writers.xml - variable expansion (likely)
does not work.
Note: I didn't try it. But it's a scheme specific to Nutch and not a Hadoop
configuration file and I cannot remember that any expansion mechanism is
implemented when the index-writers.xml is read.

Anyway, the better way would be to rely primarily on a credential provider, see

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/CredentialProviderAPI.html

https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/api/org/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration.html#getPassword-java.lang.String-

If you have time, please open a Jira issue (or multiple ones) to get a more
safe way to hold credentials implemented.

Thanks,
Sebastian