I'm not sure what kind of mail list software apache uses on their backend, but it sounds like they need to implement a feature equivalent to one that mailman has:
----
(Administrivia filter) Check postings and intercept ones that seem to be administrative requests? - If you activate this feature Mailman will check traffic for administrative requests that have inadvertently been sent to the list. This will prevent the classic case of a user sending a note to the entire list membership saying "unsubscribe."
----

Mike

David E Jones wrote:

Except that junk mail filtered messages are often not bounced... so the server would never know, and the user either.

-David