BTW, this should ONLY be used for very trusted fields, ie fields that never have information that come from a non-trusted user.

As for the uiLabelMap expressions, I like the fact that all possible HTML characters are encoded before sending it to the browser... it encourages the best practice and at the same time avoids issues where things come out in an unexpected way.

-David

On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

1st thing : OFBiz trunk no longer uses .properties files but .xml files 2d thing : we don't allow HTML in labels (actually there are still some, but it should not at term apart some special cases like the famous CommonEmpty)

I think you will have to create a specific worker for that, ie no longer render your strings as ${uiXXXLabelMap.CUSTOMER_ORDER_NUMBER} but using something like Static["org.ofbiz.....LabelWorker"].renderUiLabelMap("$ {uiXXXLabelMap.CUSTOMER_ORDER_NUMBER}") where renderUiLabelMap returns a stringBuilder embedding the original String I can see any other means maybe there are and someone will suggest you something easier.

Jacques

From: "Stephen Rufle" <sru...@salmonllc.com>
In the ftl I use
${uiXXXLabelMap.CUSTOMER_ORDER_NUMBER}

Does this process get passed through some class that I can change and
send a patch for? Then all properties could embed HTML

Jacques Le Roux wrote:
As David explains below you have to embed the String you create (I
suppose reading the property) into a StringBuilder

Jacques

From: "Stephen Rufle" <sru...@salmonllc.com>
I think I have a related issue to this. I have .properties files with table headings in them. I used to be able to put a br tag <br> in the
content of my labels to break two words.

ex.
"Cust.<br>Order# "
would turn into
"
Cust.
Order#
"
on my display, now it sends it literally. How do I get the old behavior
back?

David E Jones wrote:

Have you been following the discussion on the mailing lists about the
XSS/etc prevention efforts?

As a general practice when you run into things like this you can
usually find your answer pretty quickly by looking at commit logs, and by looking at code in OOTB OFBiz that does something similar to what
you are trying to do. In this case, for example looking at the
productdetail screen and the groovy and ftl files that it uses will
give you an example of how to handle this now.

The important thing to know is that now all String objects are
automatically HTML encoded (using the OWASP ESAPI library). To avoid it, just use anything other than a String object. The normal way to do this is to create your script dynamically using a StringBuilder, and then just leave it as a StringBuilder instead of calling toString() on it before putting it in the context. Then it won't get HTML encoded...

On a side note, I know that the OOTB code isn't the best example of this, but usually it is best to generate your JavaScript in the FTL file. If you are dynamically generating any sort of text a template file is usually the best tool to use and results in the cleanest and
easiest to maintain code.

And as a bonus, you'll avoid this encoding issue too. In fact, part of the decision to do this general encoding is to encourage the practice
of using templates for what they are meant to be used for.

Best of luck,
-David