On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:42 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

see below...

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 01:15 -0600, David E Jones wrote:
Aside from it being easier to find the data when they are in these
entity fields (which are always there, don't require a join/view or
additional find, etc), not all of the data is available in the *Role
entity.

The fields on the CommunicationEvent entity have 3 bits of information
for each party:

1. the fact that it is the from or to party
2. the ID of the from or to party
3. the role (like customer, employee, whatever) of the from or to party

that is the exact info in the communicationEventRole....

How would you model #1 and #3 in CommunicationEventRole? You could use a role that specifies from/to (which is a bit of a hack, ie that isn't technically a "role"), or you could specify a role that describes their actual role. Doing both would require 2 records with no way to match them up other than through the partyId... and what if other there are other roleTypeIds for that party, etc?

In other words, the structures are NOT equivalent. The biggest issue that I have is that for these fields which are common things to query by, display, etc it is nice not to have to do a view/join or additional query to get the data...

And yes, it would be nice if other's voiced their opinions. BTW, the data in these structures should not be duplicated and introduce redundancy. If the partyIdFrom/roleTypeIdFrom fields are populated the same data should not be in CommunicationEventRole records.

-David