I found the problem - I was testing the shopping cart using the
"admin" userid.  The admin user didn't have a shipping address so
calcAndAddTax was just silently returning:

    public void calcAndAddTax(GenericValue shipAddress) throws
GeneralException {
        if (UtilValidate.isEmpty(cart.getShippingContactMechId()) &&
cart.getBillingAddress() == null && shipAddress == null) {
            return;
        }