I have written a preprocess filter for the commons chain from the
ShaleApplicationFilter. I have also successfully integrate Shale and Spring
using the value binding method. However, I would like to access  the Spring
Bean Factory inside the preprocess filter. Is there anyway to get an
instance of the Spring's WebApplicationContext inside the preprocess filter?
The following is the sample code I wrote: public class PermissionFilter
extends AbstractRegExpFilter {
    PermissionsManager permissionsManager ;

    /**
     * <p>Return the servlet path (if any) concatenated with the path info
     * (if any) for this request.</p>
     *
     * @param context <code>Context</code> for the current request
     */
    protected String value(ShaleWebContext context) {

        if (this.permissionsManager == null) {

            WebApplicationContext wac =
(WebApplicationContext)context.getContext() ;
            this.permissionsManager =
(PermissionsManager)wac.getBean("permissionsManager") ;

        }
        String servletPath = context.getRequest().getServletPath();
        if (servletPath == null) {
            servletPath = "";
        }
        String pathInfo = context.getRequest().getPathInfo();
        if (pathInfo == null) {
            pathInfo = "";
        }
        return servletPath + pathInfo ;

    }

}
But it fails when casting the servlet context to Spring's
WebApplicationContext. Thanks in advance for your help.