Yes. I did that too. Actually if I use
root.processDecodes(facesContext);
 I get this exception.

Actually I am trying to run all the phases including Apply Request Values
phase( Create form etc. ). The idea is to finally get
the value in the managed bean.

1)
testSetUpDataBean(com.test.mock.PinValidatorTestCase)java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.decode(UIComponentBase.java:707)
        at javax.faces.component.UIForm.processDecodes(UIForm.java:128)
        at
javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processDecodes(UIComponentBase.java:922)
        at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processDecodes(UIViewRoot.java:341)
        at
com.test.mock.PinValidatorTestCase.testSetUpDataBean(PinValidatorTestCase.java:69)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:85)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:58)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
        at
com.test.mock.PinValidatorTestCase.main(PinValidatorTestCase.java:154)

Thanks,
Mohan