Aaron, thanks for replying. I am very much puzzled as to what is going on. A job that used to run on the same cluster is failing with this mysterious message about not having enough disk space when in fact I can see through "watch df -h" that the free space is always hovering around 3+GB on the disk and the free inodes are at 50% (this is on master). I went through each slave and the spark/work/app*/stderr and stdout and spark/logs/*out files and no mention of too many open files failures on any of the slaves nor on the master :(

Thanks
Ognen