Ni Nick,

The cluster I was working on in those linked messages was a private data
center cluster, not on EC2.  I'd imagine that the setup would be pretty
similar, but I'm not familiar with the EC2 init scripts that Spark uses.

Also I upgraded that cluster to 1.0 recently and am continuing to use
LZO-compressed data, so I know there's not a version issue.

Andrew