>From a development perspective, I vastly prefer Spark to MapReduce. The
MapReduce API is very constrained; Spark's API feels much more natural to
me. Testing and local development is also very easy - creating a local
Spark context is trivial and it reads local files. For your unit tests you
can just have them create a local context and execute your flow with some
test data. Even better, you can do ad-hoc work in the Spark shell and if
you want that in your production code it will look exactly the same.

Unfortunately, the picture isn't so rosy when it gets to production. In my
experience, Spark simply doesn't scale to the volumes that MapReduce will
handle. Not with a Standalone cluster anyway - maybe Mesos or YARN would be
better, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them. I find jobs tend to
just hang forever for no apparent reason on large data sets (but smaller
than what I push through MapReduce).

I am hopeful the situation will improve - Spark is developing quickly - but
if you have large amounts of data you should proceed with caution.

Keep in mind there are some frameworks for Hadoop which can hide the ugly
MapReduce with something very similar in form to Spark's API; e.g. Apache
Crunch. So you might consider those as well.

(Note: the above is with Spark 1.0.0.)

--
Daniel Siegmann, Software Developer
Velos

440 NINTH AVENUE, 11TH FLOOR, NEW YORK, NY 10001
E: daniel.siegm...@velos.io W: www.velos.io